Skip to main content

Post-award management

When a research grant or contract is awarded, the money is sent to UOIT and the university holds the money in trust for you. Together, you and the university are both accountable to the funding agency for complying with the terms of the award, and for reporting on how the funds are spent. The Office of Research Services (ORS), together with Research Accounting, provides support and assistance to researchers in managing their research funds.

The flowchart below outlines the steps necessary to open a research account and begin accessing your funds. Further information on each step follows.

A flowchart outlining the steps necessary to open a research account and begin accessing your funds. Full step descriptions follow below the image.

Establishing a research account

Once a research grant or contract is awarded, you will receive the following:

  • Notice of Award (NOA) outlining the basic features of your award.
  • Assessment of Research Compliance (ARC) form via e-mail from ORS.

At the time of award and annually thereafter, ORS is required to confirm all research involving compliance receives certification prior to the release of funds and commencement of research activities. To establish a research account and start accessing your funds, you must first complete and return the ARC form to ORS.

If compliance is required for your research, you must have all necessary certifications in place before starting any research activities. If compliance is not required immediately but at a later stage in the project, contact ORS to complete a Request for Release of Funds, which will allow you to access your funds on a prorated basis.

Accessing Your research funds

Once you have returned the ARC form to ORS and obtained any necessary research certifications, Research Accounting opens an account to manage your funds in Banner, the university’s financial management system. You will receive a Funded Research Notice (FReN) from Research Accounting, which will include the following information:

  • Banner Project Number
  • amount of the award
  • start and end dates
  • any special conditions attached to the award

As soon as you have your account number, you are ready to start spending.

During tenure of award

Contact ORS during the tenure of your award for all issues, including extensions, research or medical leaves, changes in project status, changes in certification requirements, and the transfer of grant funds.

New UOIT researchers who need to transfer a research grant to the university, and researchers who are relocating to another institution, must contact ORS to discuss procedures. Research Accounting will be involved in the transfer of funds, but the process must be initiated through ORS.

Researchers who want to transfer funds to another institution for research collaboration should contact ORS to facilitate the transfer. With your help, we will prepare a subgrant agreement. You will need to provide us with the following minimum information:

  • Co-investigator's name (for Tri-Council, this person must be listed as a co-applicant on the application).
  • Amount of the transfer.
  • Time period of the transfer.
  • Eligible expenses for your co-investigator.

From this information, we will draw up an agreement that ensures the receiving institution abides by the same terms and conditions imposed on UOIT by the sponsor. As a further condition, we will require the receiving institution to provide proof that your co-investigator has received compliance certification to conduct the research.

University of Ontario Institute of Technology logo